Friday, December 25, 2009

Prophecy of the Sisters

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Summary: Lia and Alice are twin sisters who are beginning to fulfill their part in the mystery prophecy of the sisters that has destroyed their family and sent them reeling. Lia is the Guardian, traditionally the oldest and "evil" sister while Alice is the Gate but had been destined to be the Guardian.

First I want to mention what I didn't like. There could have been more James, Lia's "boyfriend." As the novel takes place in 1890, that's not what he would be called but that's what he is. She shuts him out when she finds out about the prophecy and leaves him in order to find the answers herself. He sounded quite dreamy and I would have liked to see more of their relationship but I guess I can understand why but I really liked him. Alice, as the antagonist to narrator Lia, was obviously less developed but it was difficult to see why. It relied too much on predestination than free will for my taste although the author tries to sidestep that. There are also so many questions left unanswered although there is a sequel coming. I realize this might sounds like a lot of complaints but actually I really liked it.

I enjoyed the prevalence of books; obviously I value them as does Lia and her father and their library plays an important role in setting the story in motion. Trying to figure out what the mysterious prophecy referred to was fun; there were even some mini-mysteries that I solved! That's a big deal for me as you can see if you look at any mystery book I've reviewed where I was unable to finger the murderer. I also liked the supporting characters, her two friends who are important to the prophecy, her little brother, and her aunt plus James. They were as interesting to me as Lia and I'm sure more will be uncovered about them.

Cover: Appropriately mysterious and creepy showing twin girls who will fulfill the prophecy.

Overall: 4.5/5-can't wait for the sequel! Highly recommend!

Have a Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...