Thursday, March 25, 2010

Crocodile on the Sandbank

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Warner Books, 1975;
262 pages
1st Amelia Peabody book
Genre: Mystery; Historical

Summary: Amelia Peabody is recently orphaned and inherited a small fortune, enabling her to travel to Egypt as she has always desired. In Italy she meets Evelyn, a disgraced Englishwoman, who she hires as her lady's maid. In Egypt they meet the brothers Radcliffe and Walter Emerson, interact with Evelyn's former lover as well as her cousin who wants to marry her, and struggle to uncover a mystery.

Why I Read: I had read the second and fourth books in the series so I wanted to read the original. I also enjoy the tone and find the books very funny.

Thoughts: I love Amelia Peabody-she's so smart and funny and interesting and determined, maybe somewhat lacking in perceptiveness...She pushes Evelyn along on her path to love but originally overlooks the perfect guy for her. I loved all of the characters even the villain(s) and I actually figured out part of the villainous plot! One sort of problem is that the mystery is secondary to the atmosphere and characters. I don't mind but I do want some Agatha Christie now where the mystery is of the most importance.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5. A good start to the series, definitely recommended!

Cover: Eh. I love the title though which refers to an Egyptian poem referencing obstacles to lovers mirroring the situation in the book.

Other: Definitely want to pick up this series again! I've only read three and I think there are 19 books so I have a lot of reading to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...