Friday, March 26, 2010

Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Mira, 2007
509 pages
1st in Lady Julia series
Genre: Mystery; Historical

Summary: Lady Julia Grey's husband has died. While he has always had weakness, it is suggested by an inspector he had hired that it is murder. A year later, Julia agrees with him and hires Brisbane to investigate and solve it.

Why Read: I had heard many good things about this.

Thoughts: I was SO excited for this book because I had heard so many things including that it was much better than the Tamera Alexander book I enjoyed. Well I don't know why people like this book more because I thought it was pretty bad.

Lady Julia is rather annoying-at times, I felt she was a little too stupid to live. She confides in far too many people and takes unnecessary risks. I felt for her-she blamed herself for their childlessness when it was her husband and she does end stand up for herself against a snobby doctor. I loved her family though. She has nine siblings and while we don't meet them all in this book, the fact that they are in others is encouraging me to continue to read the series.

One reason I think the series is popular is because people like Brisbane. I didn't. He was a jerk, didn't seem sexy at all, and *SPOILER* Brisbane has the sight?! What a stupid thing to add! I was mostly enjoying the book until this was revealed! I'm not averse to paranormal but I was expecting realism. *END SPOILER*

I also thought the Victorian aspects were lacking in this book. There were references to Queen Victoria and obviously there weren't TVs or computers but it seemed very generic.

Overall: 3.5 out of 5 due in large part to the spoiler. Maybe I expected too much?

Cover: I don't really like the cover but I love the way the title is decorated and placed.

Recommendation: Similar to Tasha Alexander's mystery series which I have also started (and preferred).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...