Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Extracurricular Activities

Extracurricular Activities by Maggie Barbieri
St. Martin's Minotaur, 2007
294 pages
Mystery; 2nd in Series

Source: Library

Summary: Wow-Alison's life is complicated! Her best friend is getting married to her married-but estranged from his wife-kind of boyfriend's cop partner; she's under stress at work; her other best friend is trying to set her up with his brother; and her philandering ex-husband is found dead in her kitchen. Again she is dragged in to solving a mystery!

Thoughts: I read the fourth book in this series a while back so I was pleased to be able to pick this up (review of the third book tomorrow). I also have to say a. I am so jealous of how tall she is, even as I recognize potential pitfalls; and b. they drink a lot in this book-it seems like every chapter has her imbibing at least one drink and frequently more.

I don't remember this in the fourth book but this is told in alternating perspectives; first person for Alison and then third person following Crawford. It also explains how she gets Trixie who is a faithful dog in the fourth book but was not originally Alison's. It's pretty interesting to see certain plot points which will lead in to the fourth and then fifth book.

I was a little confused about the mystery itself (I actually somewhat figured out the culprit-I speculated it could be the person but I didn't definitively say it was). The mystery didn't seem to be as important as Alison trying to figure out her relationship with Crawford and since I know it works out, I didn't really care. Furthermore I didn't really care about the murdered people although I did want justice for them.

Overall: 3.5/5

Cover: I love her heels! And this outfit is basically described in the book so points to the artist for accuracy!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a kind of weird, but entertaining mystery novel. Cool review! The cover is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well-written article. I was checking continuously to this website and Im really inspired! Very educational information, especially the fifth sentences. I really want this kind of info. I was looking for this particular knowledge for a very long. Thankx and best of luck. μΉ΄μ§€λ…Έμ‚¬μ΄νŠΈ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Useful information. Lucky me I found your web site by chance, and I’m shocked why this coincidence did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it. λ©”μ΄μ €μ‚¬μ΄νŠΈ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...