Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Quick Study

Quick Study by Maggie Barbieri
St. Martin's Minotaur, 2008
324 pages
Mystery; 3rd in Series

Source: Library

Summary: A young man has gone missing and his family asks Alison to look in to it knowing her connections to the police via boyfriend Bobby Crawford. Unfortunately he has been found dead and it's up to Alison and Crawford to solve the mystery behind his death.

Thoughts: I read this right after finishing the second book and I found it even choppier. I don't know why but it seemed to jump around a lot and left me rather unsatisfied.

The mystery as a whole was also unsatisfying. While I cared about the dead man, the denouement was complicated and while the motive was legitimate (hint: it's either sex or money), it rang false.

And also I don't want to be mean but Alison's constant mentions of her French-Canadian heritage really annoyed me. "I'm French and Pointe should be pronounced Pwant. I like hockey. I know about cheese. Blah blah blah." This is just something that rankled me although other people may have found it endearing.

Overall: 3/5. I feel like the fourth book is a lot better; definitely don't start with this book if you're interested in the series.

Cover: It's an okay cover; the outfit is rather similar to that of the second book, which I like.

Review of Extracurricular Activities and Final Exam and link to upcoming Third Degree.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like it when crime stories jump around a lot, it's unnerving. Still, good review. If I ever tackles this series, I'll make sure not to start with this particular novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful news regarding bloggers. It opens admission to a huge spectrum of individuals who are finding an establishment to express their inquiries. With your theme, I could gain the visibility We are having at this moment. Thanks just for this informative publish, I learned a whole lot! λ©”μ΄μ €μ‚¬μ΄νŠΈ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really an interesting and helpful and I kind of agree your blogs with what you have mentioned here. μŠ€ν¬μΈ ν† ν† 

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...