Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Counterfeiters (Movie)

The Counterfeiters (Die Fälscher) won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film for Austria in 2007.

Summary: A fictionalized account of a Nazi plan to forge English money in order to destabilize their economy during WWII (Operation Bernhard): the largest counterfeiting operation in history! It takes place mostly in a concentration camp where the Jewish counterfeiters live relatively securely as long as they do this work for/with the Nazis.

I studied German in high school and I have always been interested in German-language films. When my dad decided that I needed to see This Is Spinal Tap (did you know dozens of people spontaneously combust every year?), I also decided that we should rent this.

I mostly enjoyed it and while I haven't seen any of its competition for the Oscar, I think it deserved it. I would recommend this for people who are interested in WWII for a different perspective and/or those who like foreign language films.

1 comment:

  1. I know this movie, but I haven't seen it yet. I really should, as I am interested in German-language movies, WW2 and I should really revise my knowledge of German. I also studied German in high school and I really don't to forget too much. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...