Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Published
Mystery; Contemporary
1st in Series

Source: eAudiobook borrowed from library

Summary: Sookie Stackhouse can read minds. But then she meets Vampire Bill, whose mind she cannot read-a refreshing change of pace. They become romantically involved. Soon afterward though, a streak of murders is committed on women who have been with vampires. Can Sookie protect herself and find out the murderer?

Thoughts: I started watching True Blood shortly before the third season debuted. I watched the first season in three days and then started the second and I will watch the third as soon as I finish the second. I was intrigued although I am still not a lover of vampires nor did I care for the language of the show although the sex and violence also seem a bit gratuitous. I wanted to give the books a chance and I was excited to find out that they were a bit lighter than the series. Of course they are very popular so I was excited to see that I could listen to an audiobook instead of waiting for months until my library had a copy come in. I don't usually listen to audiobooks but I thought I would give this one a chance.

I don't think that this is a form I like. I get distracted easily and while I want to read the whole series I think I will have to reread this one because while I caught the major plot points, I missed the little details that make a book. I also stubbornly kept trying to read blogs and even sometimes write posts while listening which meant that I missed what was going on. If you are planning on listening to any audiobooks, do not also plan on reading!

Differences from show: There are many. I prefer the show's backstory for the murderer to the books. I also prefer Jason in the show-he is funnier and Ryan Kwanten is very good-looking. I preferred the book's lighter tone and its lack of swearing, violence, and explicit sex scenes (although there is still some of all of those). I definitely prefer Lafayette in the show but I'm glad they added Tara to help expand the show even though she's not my favorite character (For the record, my favorite character is currently Sarah Newlin although I'm pretty sure she's going to die by the end of season 2).

Voice: While I appreciated the different voices used, which helped me distinguish between characters, I'm not a fan of the speaker. I guess I would prefer Anna Paquin to read it because she is forever my Sookie.

Overall: 3.5/5. Largely for the format; I will try to read this as an actual book and I bet it will get a better rating then.

1 comment:

  1. I have to confess that I am no fan of audio books. But I'm glad you started with the Sookie Stackhouse series. Reading this novel will be a better experience, you'll see. I like both the books and the show. The books are lighter, but the show is also great. I see them as separate entities. Jason will eventually get more book time in the following books, and so will Tara. She was not written for the TV show, but only starts appearing in later books.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...