Thursday, August 19, 2010

Heist Society

Heist Society by Ally Carter
Disney-Hyperion Books, 2010
287 pages
YA; Contemporary; Suspense
4/5 stars

Source: Library-big thanks to my sister for putting this book on hold because I had just given up on reading it.

Summary: Kat thought she was out.  But now she's back in and has to pull off the biggest con of her life in order to protect the people she loves.

Thoughts: I had read a couple of books by Ally Carter (The Gallagher Girls series) but they came out so far apart that I kept forgetting what had happened in the meantime (okay it was only like a year but I did enjoy them and didn't want to wait).  Then I read some reviews of this describing it as more young YA so I thought I wouldn't like it.  I was surprised though because I loved this!

It was such a cute book-Kat was a great heroine (once you move past the moral implications of a her being raised to be a thief).  She's loyal to her family and is anxious about being a thief.  She returns to crime partly because her family is threatened and she will do what she can in order to protect them, including breaking in to one of the most secure art museums of all.

Great secondary characters-Hale, Gabrielle, Angus, Hamish, Simon, Uncle Eddie, her father, Nick, and the terrifying Arturo.  It's always important to me to see fun characters around the main one.  These didn't have much depth but they were distinguishable and they had their own motivations.  Hale is a particular standout as a potential love interest for Kat.  I would have liked more love story but that's not always necessary for a book so I'll let it go.

Overall: Thrilling caper with a bit of history mixed in.

Cover: Great cover-I love the font on "Heist," and the picture reflected in her glasses; the model also seems age-appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. This seems very interesting, a girl raised to become a thief. I find it curious how many heroes (at least on TV) are actually some sort of criminals, but are still good people.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...