Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mistwood

Mistwood by Leah Cypess
Greenwillow Books, 2010
304 pages
YA; Fantasy
3/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Prince Rokan rides in to Mistwood to claim the Shifter, an amazingly powerful creature, to bolster his claim to the throne.  But Isabel remembers nothing; she responds to his claim and follows him back to the palace where their enemies await and where she must unravel the past in order to have a future.

Thoughts: I actually decided to read this after seeing the gorgeous cover for the companion novel; I know that's a really weird reason but I do judge books by their covers.

I don't know what to think about the book.  It was hard to get close to Isabel because she's not human and she doesn't react in human ways. I was frustrated by the distance at which she kept me but by the end I didn't really care.  Her motivations confused me and her actions in the last chapters were bewildering.  Maybe she lives, maybe she dies, whatever.

The other characters were okay.  The character I was most invested in was killed partway through the book and hardly mourned in my opinion.  But Rokan survives and so does his sister Clarisse to reveal more secrets by the end of the novel.

The magic was different from other fantasies I've read in the difficulty it takes.  While there are several magicians throughout the story, they really have to work at their power.  It costs them a great deal of time and strength. 

I think I might have preferred to read the history of Rokan's father and his usurpation of the throne.  Because he deposed the former king, Rokan wants every guarantee that he is the next king thus prompting his search for the Shifter who serves only the rightful king.  He was a hard sounding character and his ruthlessness might have made a really interesting story.

Overall: I didn't feel connected to the characters and thus I was not invested in this book.

Cover: I was actually a bit freaked out by the cover-it looked more like a horror film with her creepy eye (maybe less creepy with both?)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting premise. But I so don't like it when a character's story is not clear, in this case, did Isabel die or not. I am with you on the cover, though, very mystical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the surprises in the convoluted plot. Just when I thought I figured something out, I'd find out I was wrong. I agree, Rokan's father's story would be interesting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this one. It kept my interest with all its twists and turns.

    I do agree with you though. While I appreciate Isabel from a character study standpoint, I had a hard time growing attached to her because she was so distant and non-human. I actually had a hard time growing attached to any of the characters because you never knew who you could trust.

    You favorite character was also my favorite character. I agree with what you said about his death. I was stunned. I kept thinking and hoping he would come back at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...