Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
Simon Pulse, 2010
454 pages
YA; Fantasy
4/5 stars

Source: Library

I wanted to read this after seeing several glowing reviews of it around the blogosphere. Then I started reading it and was confused because some weird things happen in this book. Overall the mythology underpinning the story is never fully explained although it did not detract from my enjoyment of the story once I got into it.

Hanna admits that she has mental problems, currently diagnosed as maniac-depressive. Additionally she is able to talk to her father's ghost despite his death a year ago.  But she is not the weirdest part of the town of Portero, Texas which has its own very unique life.  She arrives searching for the mother she's never known and whose love she deeply desires.  She meets a cute boy, her mother is possessed by a hundreds year old spirit, she makes a wish, she almost dies multiple times, basically a whole slew of adventures that entranced me.

Other: The use of "gone" instead of "gonna" or "going to" was SO annoying.

Warning: Some instances of language and sexual situations. Meant for the more mature reader.

Overall: I would recommend doing plenty of research before buying this novel or else checking it out from the library because it seems to been rather polarizing in the book buying community.  I really liked it but would not recommend it without knowing your preferences intimately.

Cover: Gorgeous-purple is Hanna's favorite color.

3 comments:

  1. This book seems to combine personal issues and fantasy, which is what I like. There's something about the idea fo being able to talk to ghosts that intrigues me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds quite interesting, thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This author seems very interesting but I don't think her books are for me. I do sort of admire her for pushing the envelope though (at least it seems like she does that based on the reviews I've read). Her books seem very unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...