Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tears of Pearl

Tears of Pearl by Tasha Alexander
Minotaur Books, 2009
307 pages
Mystery; Historical; Romance
3/5 stars

Source: Library

I've mostly enjoyed the Lady Emily series but this one fell a bit flat for me.  It took me almost a week to read, which is a sure sign that I'm uninterested.  I kept pushing because I really did like the first books but this was a definite disappointment for me.

First Emily and Colin are married! Now I love their relationship and I was rooting for them but I enjoyed their relationship more during the flirtation and without the references to them enjoying their honeymoon phase.  Additionally Emily was incredibly unprepared for the possibility of a child despite frequent acts that lead to a child.  The way she handled that seemed out of character for her; I thought she was more pragmatic.

Second the setting is Turkey, which is not my favorite place to read about.  I missed England and my beloved butler Davis; I also missed Emily's best friend Ivy, who is on bedrest facing a difficult childbirth.  The new characters did not grab my attention and while the murderer(s)'s motivation was clear, the way it unfolded seemed a bit unfocused and confused.  I did not solve the mystery but I also wasn't paying close attention as I kept trying to figure out how many pages were left.

Overall: A bit of a disappointment; however I have my review of the next book Dangerous to Know scheduled for later, which was a bit of an improvement.

2 comments:

  1. I need to check out this series to learn more about but, but yes, I can say that it's so frustrating when you lobe a book series and then one of the books disappoints. I'm glad the next book is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the first couple in this series I think. Like you, I enjoyed the relationship before marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...