Sunday, July 10, 2011

Things I Know About Love

Things I Know About Love by Kate Le Vann
Egmont, 2010
Originally Published 2006
153 pages
YA; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: Library

I'll admit that I picked this up because of its short length and the fact that the author is British and thus it counts toward a challenge.  I thought it would be a light read but there was a bit more depth to it that the short length belies.  I also find myself unable to discuss this without SPOILERS so be forewarned.

Livia is on a process to reclaim her life after getting a clean bill of health following her bout with leukemia.  As part of this, she travels to America to visit her beloved older brother who is studying abroad at Princeton.  She plans to blog about her experiences, especially about the fling she hopes to have.

Except instead of a casual fling, she falls for Adam, a fellow Brit and friend of her brother's.  They both fall quickly and hard.  In some of my favorite sections, Adam reveals that he started up his own blog, which mostly details how much he likes Livia.  Overall the tone was very lighthearted and funny; I was so enjoying it.

Until...Livia gets sick and dies. Yes, you read that right! I was completely blindsided because there was not much lead-up and I was not expecting it at all.  Adam is as flummoxed and the conclusion is him desperately trying to hold onto his memories of her and reflecting on what he knows about love.  Despite the suddenness, I still was teary-eyed and I would probably still recommend it to certain people.

Read for British Book Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah i didnt like how she juat kinda killed her off. It was too sudden and it made me not like the book as much. I thought to myself this is crap! Besides that it was truly great. But whyed she have to kill her like that? :/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...