Thursday, August 18, 2011

Angry Management

Angry Management by Chris Crutcher
Greenwillow Books, 2009
246 pages
YA; Contemporary
4/5 stars

Source: Library

When I was looking through the Chris Crutcher books that my library has, I was immediately hooked by seeing the name "Sarah Byrnes." Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes was a great read for me and if she appeared again, then I wanted to read this. It turns out that this is a collection of short stories, bringing together several characters from earlier books to further explore.

I liked the premise because of the two Crutcher books I've read, the main characters have experienced a lot of anger, both at their own situation in life and at the injustices perpetrated in the world.  This book is a further examination of those themes that continue to roil American society, largely race, sexual orientation, inadequacies in the foster care system, and just downright cruelty.  At times, I felt like I was being preached at although since I largely agree with Crutcher, I didn't mind.  This was most present in the third story "Meet Me at the Gates, Marcus James."  I felt that the other two stories integrated those themes better.

Besides that, this is a collection of three short stories which means that you just don't get enough time to build a connection to the character.  Now I remembered Sarah Byrnes but the other characters weren't familiar with me. I liked them (Crutcher creates vivid personalities that reach out and grab you) but I wanted more like I receive in a novel.

Additionally the framing device is that these six characters are in group counseling for various reasons and each section is preceded by a brief description of the character as observed by the head counselor.  I enjoyed the bit of him we saw but again, I wanted more!

Overall: Another enjoyable read from Crutcher but I think I prefer a full-length novel to short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...