Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Where I Want to Be

Where I Want to Be by Adele Griffin
G.P. Putnam's Sons, 2005
150 pages
YA; Contemporary; Sisters
4/5 stars

Source: Library

When I was at the library, I was looking around for a shortish book because technically I'm supposed to be focusing on my ebooks. I thought I'd see what Adele Griffin books were on the shelf since I'd already read two and enjoyed them a lot. When I saw that this book focused on two sisters, I was sold.

It alternated between third-person perspective about older, now dead sister Jane and first-person perspective from younger, still living Lily.  The sisters are just a year apart in age but are worlds away in personalities.  Lily is acclimated to the outside world, popular with a boyfriend and a cheery disposition. Jane prefers her solitude where she can pretend and she struggles with Lily's easy acceptance into the outside, away from their house, their family, and her.

The book only covers a couple of days after the death of Jane, switching between Jane's path to an afterlife and coming to an understanding about her life and Lily's struggle to move on.  In general I preferred Lily's narration because of the personality that accompanies a first-person narration and because I was fascinated by her relationship with her boyfriend Caleb, her anchor who keeps her from sinking in grief.  Jane's story is more remembrances of her history and eventually quick segment about her death.

Although I had expected a highly emotional read based on my feelings about sister-sister stories where one of them is hurt or dead, I did not get that from this story. I felt sad for them as their relationship didn't end on a positive note and I was happy that they got a measure of closure.  But I had anticipated crying and an internal ache, which I did not have at the end.

Overall: Well-written but not as emotional as I had hoped.


2 comments:

  1. Having an older sister myself (who I love more than anything else), I have to say that I adore reading sister-sister novels too. It's too bad that this wasn't overly emotional (because, as strange as it sounds, I love to read books that can evoke tears from me!), but I still like the whole concept of this novel so I think I might pick it up one day! :)

    Awesome review, B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry this wasn't as emotional for you as it was for me. I was bawling. I loved the attention to all of the different relationships (the sisters, the grandparents, the boyfriend). Have you read The Penderwicks? I love the sister relationships in that book. (It's like Entwined, but better- I think).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...