Saturday, March 24, 2012

Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie
Dutton Books, 2011
367 pages
YA; Dystopia
3.5/5 stars

Source: Library

I was pleased enough with Matched to pick this up although I'll admit it wasn't a priority, at least in part because the cover didn't please me (see below for my thoughts). I know that's shallow but there are SO many books and I need some system to help me sort. Anyway I've picked it up now, braced with very mixed opinions from the blogosphere although one point does seem to hold true: second books are hard.

How much information should be revealed? How much character development can happen? How much of a character's wants will be fulfilled? Can the second book top the first? In this book, Cassia and Ky are separated in different locations in the Outer Provinces, both desperate to find each other. Overall I found it pretty boring and not a good second book.

I think my main problem was Ky, who I grew to like less than Xander (originally I didn't feel much for either). I still don't understand their "love" that guides them through hardships. At least Cassia's interest is moderated by her feelings for best friend Xander, love for her family, and desire to fight the Society by joining the Rising. Ky only has Cassia. In fact, Ky's obsession to be the one chosen by Cassia and his willingness to sacrifice his anti-Rising principles in order to keep her from going to Xander rubbed me the wrong way (at least that was how I interpreted his stance in the closing chapters-maybe you felt a different way?)

However I did take notice of the writing which was very lyrical and beautiful. Maybe a little too much as there were pages of such writing with nothing exciting happening. Some new characters were introduced but did not receive much development nor did I feel like Cassia or Ky's personalities were deepened more. 

Overall: Not a lot happens; recommended only for mega-fans of Matched.

Cover: I really do not like this cover as much as that of Matched. I do appreciate the importance of the color blue and I like the idea of the heroine breaking free as it were. But this pose just looks so awkward to me and I especially find the legs weird. It does not look like she would have been able to break out there yet.

5 comments:

  1. I am totally all about covers too, even though I know it doesn't mean much! For me, it wasn't Ky I didn't like in this book, it was Cassia! But you're so right - second books in trilogies seem to be the hardest for authors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree quite a book with your review, and your thought on 2nd books. I feel it did move the story forward, and I'm very eager for the 3rd book, but it was a pretty boring book. I also am not a big fan of the cover, it was beautiful on Matched, kind of blah on Crossed. Here is my review:
    http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2011/12/crossed-by-ally-condie.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep seeing mixed reviews of this one--and uh oh, "only for mega fans" doesn't bode well for me. I liked Matched, but didn't love it, so...I guess I will put off reading this one for a while longer, hah. Appreciate the honest review.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't picked this book up, and don't know if I will, because there are so many books out there and I've read such mixed reviews on this one. I think I'll wait to see how the third one is before I commit to read this one. And I agree about the cover. I don't like it either. Very awkward

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't really like Matched, so I'm not too eager to check this sequel out. I'm sorry to hear that nothing really happened in this book. It sounds like a filler, pretty much. I think I've given up on this series, haha. Thanks for the well-written and honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...