Sunday, August 26, 2012

In Honor

In Honor by Jessi Kirby
2/5 stars
Simon & Schuster BFYR
235 pages
YA Contemporary

Source: Borrowed a copy from the library

I didn't love Kirby's debut Moonglass but thought it showed a lot of promise so I was interested to pick up her second book especially knowing that it was related to the military. I've had a deep thirst for such books and I was excited for that one.

This book opens with Honor mourning the loss of her beloved older brother Finn who died in Iraq. Soon after learning of his death, she receives his last letter with tickets to a concert (a Taylor Swift-esque singer) and the instructions to go see it. So she blows off her orientation week at college and sets off, picking up Finn's estranged best friend Rusty and making a journey from Texas to California with many mishaps on the way to moving through her grief process.

Soon into the road trip, I was reminded very strongly reminded about why I don't often like road trip books. Honor sets off with barely a plan, unsure of even how to get where she wants to go (are there no maps in Texas? Don't most teenagers have smart phones with GPS functionality? Sidenote: I love the GPS on my Droid-so helpful! I do know that not everyone has such a phone but she could have at least consulted Mapquest or something before setting off.) Soon after she talks about how they only have four days to get to their destination. Yet on their first night they pull over and accept alcoholic beverages (Honor's reasoning is because the girl who drinks is cooler than the girl who passes-um, what? Not comfortable with that message!)

I know I'm more of a planner (and always have been) as well as good at assuming responsibility but it was just baffling me that in the first twenty-percent of the book, she was already so derailed from her plan. If I was traveling with someone else on a frantic road-trip, we would alternate driving and get it done.  Now I realize that my plot would make for a much shorter book but it would also be more sensible.

A character element to mention is Rusty, who other reviewers have compared to Tim Riggins from the amazing TV show "Friday Night Lights." Many have swooned for him but he is definitely my least favorite guy (I mean, I would rather have Billy than Tim is how little I care for Tim). I know that many readers will fall for his bad boy act but I very rarely swoon for the bad boy and this was no exception.

Overall: Definitely not a book for me but if you like road trip books and/or have a thing for the bad boy, this might be more your read.

Cover: Super accurate-it is mentioned that Honor wears a dress with red boots and drives a black Impala (I assume that the car is an Impala but I don't know anything about cars so that could be false).

 

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this book. I really did not like Moonglass so I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed this one as much as I did.

    Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts!

    Also, I don't remember if I told you this already or not, but I love your blog redesign! The bear is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Moonglass but I'm not sure about this one. I think I would be more concerned with how much I like the characters rather than how disorganized the road trip is. Rusty does not sound like a character I'd like.

    I have enjoyed other road trip novels like Amy and Roger's Epic Detour so I might try this anyway someday. My library owns a copy so if I end up disappointed, I won't have spent any money on it. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read Moonglass or In Honor. I am soory to hear that you didn't care for this. Great review. :)

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine bought this one for me so if I don't like it, I at least won't have bought it. I DO usually like road trip books but the thing about Honor drinking, uh, I probably won't be okay with that, either! And man, too bad you didn't care for the love interest. But it's a good review, thanks!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is SO FAR up at the top of my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I never really picked up on that. But yeah, I agree her reasoning for drinking wasn't very kosher. I actually avoid going out with some people who mock other for having one drink they say stuff like just one? or That's it? I'm in my mid to late 20's and thought that was left behind at University.

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...