Sunday, February 17, 2013

Book Haul + the Week to Come 17FEB13

Kind of a long post today but I've bolded each section header so you can skim to see what's most of interest to you...

Lent:
So the Lenten season is upon us and some people use this as an opportunity to give up or abstain from something. One of the things I'm trying to do is to curb my blogger jealousy and book acquisitions. Thus I will not be requesting any books from Netgalley, Edelweiss, or publishers directly during this period. I will not put any books on hold at the library or pick any up while browsing. I will not buy any books. My hope for this period is to focus less on trying to keep up with the newest hottest releases and more on reading the many amazing looking books I have already acquired. Ideally I would also be less jealous of other bloggers and more appreciative of my own many blessings.

Book Haul:
Keep in mind, this all came BEFORE Lent started on the 13th

I was the happy recipient of some excellent books this week. First I received a package from Penguin featuring:
Five Summers by Una LaMarche
All I Need by Susane Colasanti
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
While I'm excited about all of these, Dessen has a special place in my heart as an author that I also got my sister to love so that's something for us to share :)

E-galleys I received through Netgalley and Edelweiss; I just want to give them some publicity:
15 Days Without a Head by Dave Cousins
The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig
Battleship by Dorothy Ours
Just Like Fate by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young

Fault Line by Christa Desir
The Vow by Jessica Martinez
Legacy of the Clockwork Key by Kristin Bailey

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn
Born of Illusion by Teri Brown
Reboot by Amy Tinera
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

Reviews will be posted closer to the release date (I always say no more than thirty days before). But you can see why I had a really good week :)

Reading/Blogging News:
I have been on a hot streak for reading although not every book has been a hit (friend me on goodreads for up to date status updates on what I'm reading). Unfortunately I haven't felt much like writing reviews. I feel like I am either:
a. Wanting to read but not to blog
b. Wanting to blog but not to read
c. Wanting to neither read nor blog

Very rarely do I want to read AND blog-why is that? That is the state of mind I would most prefer. I'm planning to put in some quality time today with my blog though. I also have tomorrow off (Presidents Day-yay) and will use that time to do some work too.

My fave president, an inspiration for my blog
The Week to Come: actually features all 2013 releases, most of which I really enjoyed so I'm excited to share about these books with you.

First up is Kiersten White's new book, Mind Games, a very big change from her Paranormalcy series.

Tuesday's review is Also Known As by Robin Benway, very much like Ally Carter's Heist Society but with its own unique voice.

Wednesday is The Fire Horse Girl by Kay Honeyman and then Thursday is The Different Girl by Gordon Dahlquist-I really love that both books have "girl" in the title but they are very distinct titles.

Friday is The Dead and Buried by Kim Harrington whose Clarity I enjoyed.

And then Saturday is something completely different: an adult historical novel Iscariot by Tosca Lee about the most famous traitor in history.

10 comments:

  1. dessen! colasanti! yay for contemp YA!!

    i haven't been into writing reviews too so leslie have been doing most of the reviewing :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea :) I'm also trying to read away my own pile of books (and I have a lot.. A LOT, haha)

    Legacy of the Clockwork Key & The school for good and evil <3 Oh my, I want to read both of them so badly!

    Happy reading :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great group of books. Legacy of Clockwork Key was pretty good. Happy reading.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Sarah Dessen -- she's one of my favorite YA authors.

    I think a lot of bloggers are trying to read what they have. Sometimes I feel like it's hoarding behavior to just keep getting books.
    I made two piles -- one of stuff I do intend to read, and another huge one of stuff I DNF'd or have read and no longer want to keep. The second pile is going to a big local book drive that collects books to donate to underfunded public schools. So it's a great way to weed out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Reboot too... and can't wait.
    That is a great Lent goal. I have so many that I want to read too, but SO many new ones coming out. I admire you!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first three books sound really good. I love all three authors, especially Sarah Dessen. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to hear what you think of The Moon and More. Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite YA authors.

    I have the Lauren Willig e-ARC too but wish I could read it on my Kindle. I've enjoyed a lot of her other books but never finished the most recent Pink Carnation book.

    Like you I have been reading a lot lately but I have not spent much time writing reviews. I ended up taking a week off from blogging but it wasn't entirely intentional. More like a combination of stress from my nonblogging life and writer's block. I hope to get caught up a little tomorrow since I have the day off too.

    I am currently working on my review of Also Known As and hopefully will be able to post it next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interested to hear your thoughts on The School for Good and Evil. I thought about requesting it, but I already have so many books for review that I decided to pass. I hope you like it. You got a great haul this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have some interesting titles coming up this week. I'm glad you're trying to focus on the books you already have for Lent this year. Great idea. I have to read so much for school lately that i'm taking on very few new review titles that people pitch me. I still have review books from awhile ago...but I'm trying to catch up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your idea for Lent! I need to take a little inspiration from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...