Sunday, May 5, 2013

Books Received, Ramblings, and Week to Come 05MAY13

April Wrap-Up:
So I read 26 books in April, putting me at 99 read, just behind my goal of 100, which isn't too bad. I am looking to have some less busy nights this summer as activities end so I'm hoping to get back on track (or, dare I hope, even ahead!) My May schedule is filled with reviews of lots of highly anticipated books although my first couple of reads have been disappointing :(

Recommended reads-
The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Softball:
We had our playoff game on Thursday and were soundly thrashed :( But there were many positives! First, after only a fifteen minute batting practice where I had many pieces of advice thrown at me, I got my first hit! A second positive is that it meant that I got to go home, shower, and watch the NBC sitcoms live. Also on the bright side, we're playing another five games starting in June. And one more, I've ordered our shirts so we'll all match and look awesome!
Received:
I won a copy of Lady of Ashes by Christine Trent from The Eclectic Reader and that arrived this week-a fun surprise!

Week to Come: Honestly, this is a fairly disappointing week. I entered most of these books with pretty high expectations and was let down, as you'll see. The end of the week is better but yeah, it's going to be a low rated week on the blog. The average rating for these books is a 3.1667 and I'm usually pretty generous with a 4 rating.

Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George
The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston
The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler
The Program by Suzanne Young
Frogged by Vivian Vande Velde
Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella

How is your reading going? Can you believe we're already 1/3 of the way through 2013? It's flying by!

24 comments:

  1. Uh oh. I was looking forward to The Book of Broken Hearts. I have that one for review. I read The Rules for Disappearing and I liked it though it does have flaws. I was letdown by Wedding Night too. It definitely had a different feel from the other Sophie Kinsella books I read but I still liked it more than Twenties Girl. I hope you have better luck with your reading this week! It looks like you are right on target for your reading goals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like most people have loved it and if you're a big Sarah Ockler fan, you'll probably be fine. I'm not the biggest fan so the things I didn't like about Bittersweet were magnified here. I liked Wedding Night a lot actually-still working out all my thoughts though.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I love the cover of Lady of Ashes. I have had a few lately that I was really looking forward to, and they weren't all that great. :( Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just feel so disappointed but luckily I finished two books I liked a lot today so next week's reviews will be brighter!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Doesn't it look great? I need to enter it on my review calender so that I can make sure it's read in a timely fashion.

      Delete
  4. Aww sorry most of these weren't all you expected and that your playoff game didn't go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so disappointing! I'm hoping my reviews are helpful to others who have similar opinions as me so I can save them some time.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Rules For Disappearing, The Program and Book of Broken Hearts!

    You can find me here: Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, all mixed to negative-I'm going to be harsh, for me, on the blog this week!

      Delete
  6. LoA looks intriguing! Hope you enjoy it!

    Sorry that you ended up being a bit disappointed with your latest reads :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I just read two books I liked and I have high hopes for others that are coming up in my review pile.

      Delete
  7. 26 books in April!? *bows* Nicely done!

    I'm looking forward to Wednesdays at the Tower, so I'm hoping it's not a letdown for me. Sorry that it was for you.

    Hope the rest of May is better with the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wednesdays in the Tower wasn't too bad but I didn't find it as magical as the first book.

      Delete
  8. Sorry the books weren't real winners this week. sometimes I think hearing too much about a novel beforehand really can ruin things. I'm glad you're enjoying softball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I didn't know that much about any of these novels going in-it's a tricky balance to maintain because you don't want to know too much but you still want to know if there are any of those elements that you really hate in books.

      Delete
  9. 99 read so far! WOW! I've read 58 of my goal of 50 so far and thought I was doing good. lol The Eternity Cure was a great read! Love that series! My poor Zeke! I haven't heard of Lady of Ashes but congrats on your win! Hope it is good. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for Zeke-I have no idea what Kagawa has in store for him but I'm betting it's going to be intense!

      Delete
  10. Wow, nice work!! I've only read 31 books for the year, long way off my goal of 100 lol.
    I like your attitude with softball, there's always positives :) Hope you enjoy Lady Of Ashes as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like you're about on track though-you needed to reach 1/3 of the way and you're almost there-hopefully you'll have a good reading week! Hope I love Lady of Ashes too-I was so surprised and happy to get it in the mail already :)

      Delete
  11. Woot! That is a lot of books :D You are awesome. Sigh, The Eternity Cure. <3 Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blushes-thanks for the compliment :) The Eternity Code was so good, right? I need to make sure some of my friends who read The Immortal Rules know about this second part.

      Delete
  12. I've heard great things about Lady in Ashes! I'm a little scared to read it, though. ;) I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    After your review, I'm still just itching to get my hands on The School for Good and Evil! I'm glad you put it on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have let you know about The School for Good and Evil-I can't wait to start seeing more reviews of it (hopefully positive!)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...