Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ramblings and the Week to Come 01SEP13

Real Life:
Honestly I'm so glad that August is over. It felt like the month that never ends. Plus it has been absolutely sweltering here in an area that is not used to that kind of heat. I expect it to be quite warm and summery throughout September. Saying that, this past week was pretty great. I hosted a game night with some of my friends and we had a hilarious time playing "Apples to Apples." I also completed a big project at work and am diving into one more next week in addition to my usual workload. There was no softball this week but we've got a game coming up and I'm hoping for a great turnout again.

Bookworm1858 Recommends:
If you're ever curious about what I'm reading, you can friend me on Goodreads or check out my 2013 Reading page which spotlights my favorite books read (in pink.) But I also wanted to share four recent favorites with you so you can scoop them up!

Prep School Confidential by Kara Taylor, released July 30; this title features a sassy, wise-cracking heroine with a strong commitment to justice. I'm looking forward to more of her adventures in sequels to come. 

The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson, released August 27; this is the conclusion to the Fire and Thorns trilogy and boy does it end with a flourish. There's adventure, magic, and romance all mingled together in an absolutely enchanting way-one of the best third books I've read!

A Wounded Name by Dot Hutchison, released September 1; I realize this may prove to be less popular than some of my other recommendations but I found its writing to be beautiful and challenging. For people who like different takes on Shakespeare (this is a contemporary retelling of "Hamlet.")

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales, releases September 17; I saved the best for last and I really want to make sure it gets on your radar. This has been one of my favorite books of the year and I feel that its themes of not fitting in and exploring your passion will resonate with a lot of people.
READ ME!
Week to Come:
Just because it's Labor Day tomorrow doesn't mean I don't have a review prepared; it's for Natalie Standiford's The Boy on the Bridge, historical fiction set in 1980s USSR, possibly a new trendy setting for YA. Then we're going back to contemporary with Leap of Faith by Jamie Blair, returning to historical in the form of Elizabeth Wein's highly anticipated Rose Under Fire, the companion novel to my favorite read of 2012 Code Name Verity (have you read this yet? If not, definitely give it a shot!)

We're ending the week strong in contemporary: Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl, my first introduction to Simone Elkeles in her latest Wild Cards, and then Robyn Schneider's The Beginning of Everything, which I have been anticipating since it used to be called the much more evocative Severed Heads, Broken Hearts.

How is your reading going on this lovely Labor Day weekend? Is anyone traveling or doing something fun?

Check back later for the latest installment in my quest to read War and Peace-we only have four more months to go!

15 comments:

  1. apples to apples is a favorite with my friends too! when i was an RA in student housing, my fellow RAs and i would play it when we're on-call during the weekends. looking forward to your review of wild cards. i personally really liked it! very addicting! it's my kind of YA contemp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples to Apples is so much fun-I always forget how much I enjoy it until I actually play it again.

      Delete
  2. My August was really busy too. I turned 35 and went on vacation and I made a really big career decision that I'm still feeling tormented over. While I am not a big fan of fall (harbinger of winter, etc.) I am kind of glad to see the end of August too.

    You have some great books on your review schedule for this coming week. I can't wait to hear what you thought of Fangirl. I still need to write my review. I am also hoping to read Rose Under Fire soon. Right now I am having difficulty committing to any particular book so I jump back and forth because nothing has grabbed my attention yet. Maybe that means I need to start Rose Under Fire earlier than planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year I am so excited about Fall-I'm working on my wardrobe and I want to wear jeans and boots and jackets and I probably won't be able to do so until late October :( Hugs about your career decision!

      Looking forward to your thoughts on Fangirl and Rose Under Fire.

      Delete
  3. Your reviews next week sound good. I can't wait to read Wild Cards. Enjoy the week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild Cards was so enjoyable-just what I needed. I bet you'd like it too.

      Delete
  4. Love apples to apples! Glad you had a fun game night.

    I loved Code Name Verity and I can't wait to get my hands on Rose Under Fire. It sounds fantastic; love that it's a companion novel. :-)

    I really want to read Fangirl too!! I just recently (and finally) bought Eleanor and Park, so I have to read that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good book week for me-not sure how the rest of September will be able to compare though...

      Delete
  5. Not heard of Apples to Apples ... might have to google it lol. After reading yours and Christina T's review for The Bitter Kingdom I know I have to get back to the Fire and Thorns trilogy.
    Happy Labor Day and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally thought Apples to Apples was international-here's a link.

      Delete
  6. Not heard of Apples to Apples ... might have to google it lol. After reading yours and Christina T's review for The Bitter Kingdom I know I have to get back to the Fire and Thorns trilogy.
    Happy Labor Day and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVED This Song Will Save Your Life, too, and I also hope to get the word about it.

    Prep School Confidential was such a great surprise. I loved Anne, and I can't wait for the sequel.

    Stephanie @ Inspiring Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the buzz will crescendo as we approach This Song's release date-it really deserves to be talked about!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting-I love to read your thoughts! Feel free to leave a link to your latest post so I can stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...